labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ground Rules

Hi Everyone!

Did you miss me? I certainly missed all of you. This was a surprise because I didn’t realize what a blogging addict I became. Well, perhaps I knew but was in denial. How could I have a blogging problem? HA!

Many have emailed me when The Life and Times of a Labor Nurse (LTLN) went down. Why did it come down? What prompted all of this?

There were several events that lead to the demise of LTLN. First were some threatening emails, then some very nasty discussion and hen clucking, and it all happened within a week of some other health care blogs going down for similar (and much worse) reasons. I decided that I needed to straighten some things out before I continued.

Now that all of this has blown over, I decided to come back reborn, if you will. Don’t worry, I haven’t changed. But I need to make a few things very, very clear. Apparently I didn’t make these things as clear as I thought the first time around. I do not mean to insult anyone with the following, but again, just need to make things very clear.

My style is not for everyone. If you are not finding humor in my posts, then this is likely not the blog for you. I am sarcastic, saucy, opinionated, and prone to profanity every once in a while. If you are looking for a nurse blog that doesn’t bother you like mine does, I direct you to the links. There are tons of fabulous nurse bloggers out there who have different styles, styles of which might suit your tastes better.

I’m all for debate. I have no problems with people disagreeing with me. I stood corrected a few times on LTLN and it doesn’t hurt my feelings. But, I will not tolerate disrespectful or rude comments towards any of my readers or myself. Saying, “You are a slimy bastard for saying XYZ about issue ABC” will not be posted. Instead say “I disagree with your points about ABC because of 123”. In other words if you want to disagree with me or any commenter I highly suggest you post in the form of the latter. And as much as I hate this, I have activated comment moderation.

When I discuss patient care issues or patients I have cared for all identifying information has been changed, deleted, or made up. Some stories are composites, some are completely fabricated, and others loosely based on reality. In other words, I comply with HIPAA. This hasn’t changed since LTLN was up and running. However, I think that some readers missed the disclaimer at the bottom of the screen. This is why I am making it loud and clear here (refer to the Legal Mumbo Jumbo to the right). There is a chance that someone could read something here (or on any health care blog) and see themselves or someone they know within a story. This is because many situations occur over and over and to a lot of people. I’ll give you an example: I read a story about a nurse complaining about a patient she cared for who was on the call light every 20 minutes. After several hours of this the nurse decided to say something that wasn’t very nice to the patient and subsequently the patient stopped ringing the call light. Guess what? I was a patient once who had a nurse who told me to stop ringing the call light every 20 minutes. Actually she said something like I wasn’t dying and stop ringing her every minute. (I can hear the gasps at the thought that I could be a bad patient…) And I can guarantee that there are thousands more where that story could apply. Is this not complying with confidentiality? Hell, no.

I am a strong advocate of nursing, midwifery, and reform of our current maternity care system. I talk a lot about these issues here on my blog. Again, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me but this is not the place for those who come just to bash my beliefs (nor the beliefs of any of my readers).

Lastly, my blog is not meant to give any medical advice or replace your medical or midwifery care. The Childbirth Education Series will be back up and running. This is meant to educate and entertain, but in no way a replacement for your care or advice and education from your own providers.

Oh, and you are all required to come visit me every Friday at the NJO Blog. It’s your only chance to see me never swear~!

19 comments:

Joyce said...

I'll be checking every day to see what's posted and what you are writing about.

And as far as ringing the nurses bell every 20 minutes when you were the patient, I bet you had good cause!

Mother Jones RN said...

Hey Girlfriend, welcome back! I'm glad to see that you are up and running again. You've been missed.

MJ

Labor Nurse said...

Thanks MJ!!!

Joyce... I thought I was hemorrhaging to death and I wanted some mints. The nurse told me I wasn't dying and gave me a lifesaver. I thought it was good reason!

Anonymous said...

Hi Labor Nurse;

I came here from Paul Levy's blog; noting you have a new one. I notice your comments about threatening emails come about the same time as some equally mysterious comments by the blog owner showed up on Emergiblog. Can you tell us what was going on; was someone threatening all nurse bloggers or something? How weird and sad. I have to say it's one reason I post all my comments anonymously. But glad to see you back.

Labor Nurse said...

Hi Anon, I don't know whether it was one person threatening all nurse bloggers or not. Who knows. I don't think all nurse bloggers were contacted; as a matter of fact I think it was relatively few. I can't even begin to speculate why the threats came about. Personally, I felt the need to straighten things out with my own blogging because there were some not very nice vibes going on in health care blogging.

Thanks for finding me here!

anon 3:09 said...

Maybe it's the drug companies (grin)!

Jamie said...

I'm glad to see you are back in action. :)

A'Dell said...

wa-hoo! glad you're back. :)

frectis said...

Yay, you're back!

luolin said...

I'm glad you're back.

codeblog said...

Hi! Glad you've resumed blogging again.

Cindy said...

You're back! So glad you're back and looking forward to lots of chuckles and interesting stories as I read the reborn blog.

Rae said...

Yay,
g;ad you're back!

ornery dandelion said...

I am so, so happy to have you back! I really missed your unique take on nursing and midwifery while you were AWOL.

Boliath said...

Thrilled to have found you again.

Lonesome Dreamer said...

Glad to see you back! I loved your blog...I'm entering nursing school this september and I've always been interested in labor & delivery so your blog was fascinating & educational for me.

I hope you post about your nursing school/midwife school experiences too...maybe tips for students?

Welcome back!

Jody said...

Dear Rebirth,
I have read your blog for a short time now and it was Your blog which prompted me to try blogging myself. I want to encourage you to keep it up! You Rock!! Take a look when you have a min. at my new blog, born today lol.
Now I guess I need some type of disclaimer added to it lol. Wish me luck!


http://jodybabycatcher.blogspot.com/

Heather Griffith Brewer said...

My sweet friend Jill sent me your way. My name is Heather and I hope one day that I will be helping moms give birth safely at home. I was planning to start school this spring and was struck by some serious doubts after two people close to me gave birth. It's a passion that seems to drown in fear for me.
Anyway, I read several of your recent posts and thought that I had better start at your beginning...which will take a while. I do want to tell you Thank You for putting it out there. Your Ground Rules post made me laugh out loud because you sound exactly like my long lost twin. I look forward to becoming your newest fan...and please know that your sarcasm, causticism (is that a word?), and head scratching sensibilities are not ever lost on me.

~Heather

Labor Nurse said...

thank you Heather!