labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Don't Do This

I have learned to never make assumptions. For instance, never assume that the man with the gray hair in the labor room is the 18 year old patient’s father. Because it’s her husband. Or that the man rubbing a patient’s back is the father of the baby, because he’s actually her brother. Or that the patient’s boyfriend is the father of the baby.

As you can imagine, I learned the hard way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is 17 years older than I. Had we not chosen to wait to have children, it might have been us you describe.

We were married when I was 18, he was 35. We got a lot of dirty looks from people for a long time. I wish people would mind their own business.

Ten years later no one looks at us funny or rudely any more, thank goodness. And we're still happily married, now with two sweet children.

Thank you for not making assumptions. They hurt.

Dawn :) said...

Yikes. Yes, I can imagine that those are difficult situations to figure out without assumptions.