labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Interview for Shits and Giggles

Most people don’t go on job interviews for shits and giggles. But I highly recommend it. It’s amazing how much you pick up when you really don’t care much about getting the job.

Because of my never-ending per diem issues, I decided to apply for another per diem position. My thinking is if I have two per diem jobs, I will likely get hours somewhere. So I applied to several other hospitals that had per diem L&D positions open, and promptly received requests for interviews. Today I had my first one.

I was highly impressed with the L&D unit itself. It was up to date with pleasing décor and large birth rooms. None of this actually matters, of course, unless you don’t have it. I am sure there is some study out there that says employees are happier working in aesthetically pleasing surroundings. I’ve worked in very nice units and some ugly units, and will frequently tell you that one of my best obstetrics nursing jobs was in a very pretty unit.

But I digress….

My interview starts with the nurse recruiter in HR, who is a complete weirdo. I actually ended up finding her amusing in a friendly sort of way, and she asked some good questions. While I was answering, she would frequently say, “Ah! I see where you are headed!” And I’m thinking, “Well, that’s good because I don’t.” After we were done, she brought me to the L&D nurse manager.

The nurse manager seemed pleasant enough, but never asked me any questions. She seemed genuinely disinterested, not necessarily in me but in the whole process. It appeared that she didn’t really read my resume, as she missed the fact I currently work as a per diem nurse at a competing hospital and that I am in school.

She gave me a brief tour of the unit, never stopping by the nurse’s station where a friendly appearing group of nurses were sitting eating chips and salsa (at 10AM, true L&D nurses in my books) to introduce me. The nurses walking in the halls sized me up and down while simultaneously shooting daggers from their eyes.

The required hours are flexible, as is the orientation process. They pay isn’t so great and it’s a longer commute. But do I want to work there? Hmmm…. I have to think about it.

Now, had I really needed this job, I may have missed some of these things. I may have got too caught up in the pretty delivery rooms and computer charting. I might have overlooked the fact that no one even smiled at the nurse manager walking onto the unit. So I guess the moral of the story is go to every job interview like you don’t need it. Perhaps you will get a better idea of the place and the job.

4 comments:

Marie-Baguette said...

hi labor nurse. I am sorry to bug you but I was wondering if I could have your opinion re: the last development of my pregnancy. Should I be worried? I am hoping for the best, but I can't help but freaking out a bit. Thanks in advance for your help

AtYourCervix said...

Hey there Labor Nurse - come work on our unit! You would be VERY well received. And there would be no shortage of shifts for you to choose from either.

Besides, you would get to work with me :-)

Labor Nurse said...

That would be an awful long commute!

But it would be nice to work with a like minded labor nurse!

The Nurse said...

Yes, the grass isn't always greener on the other side... I've been told anyway.

Hey, sorry I accidentally deleted my alerts for your two comments before I posted them, I wasn't ignoring you... but now they are gone forever. Thanks again for stopping by.