labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Preceptor Woes

I’m still struggling to find preceptors. My current preceptor is great, except she doesn’t meet the delivery requirements for my school of at least 30 births over the semester (she does about ½ that). Otherwise my problems would be solved and I wouldn’t be in this jam I am currently in.

You see, if I can’t find a preceptor, I can’t register for classes in January. If I can’t register for the class, I lose my financial aid. Which, by the way, is the only way I can afford this last year of school. So if I lose my financial aid, I can not return to school. I’m also told that missing more than one semester kicks me out of the program, and so when the time comes to return when the heavenly preceptors fly down from heaven, I’d have to start from scratch!!!!

I am less than a year from graduation.

What a kick in the sac, as my husband would say.

Another problem is that it looks as though I am going to have to travel if I do get blessed with a preceptor. The problem being is that if I have to travel, I can’t work, and I certainly can’t afford to live away and pay my hefty mortgage here at home. I’m hoping to find some kind person who will give me a room out of the kindness of their heart.

And then there is always that worry that the kind person offering up their home to you will rape, torture, and kill you in the middle of the night. You just never know.

Ah…. Why, oh, why does this have to be so difficult? Why is it that this very profession, that claims it wants to build itself and strengthen their numbers, slams the door in your face when you are willing to become a part of it with their help?

3 comments:

mommymichael said...

"Why is it that this very profession, that claims it wants to build itself and strengthen their numbers, slams the door in your face when you are willing to become a part of it with their help?"

to weed out the weak ;) just kidding.
i do hope everything is able to fall into place for you. just keep truckin'. you can do it!

Joyce said...

I'll keep my fngers crossed and pray everyday that someone will come forward and give you a place.

Cyndi Gross said...

Have you thought about contacting your local ACNM chapters for assistance?

Don't worry, you will find a way, Rachel.