labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Sunday, December 9, 2007

I'm A-Scared

Because I am on winter school break now, I have been trying to pick up more hours at work. I've also finished my clinical teaching position as well, so it's really opened up my schedule until next month. I've had the chance to see a lot of my co-workers that I haven't seen much of over the last 12 weeks or so, and they've been asking me about my clinical experiences and how much longer I have to go. And I can't believe that I can say that I have less than a year to go. Less. Than. A. Year.

I am really excited about that, but in just a few short weeks I will be catching babies for real. I be a-scared. It's so weird that I feel confident at a birth as a nurse but the thought of being the person helping to guide a baby out into this big scary world is overwhelming. I've seen so many babies born, but now I will be at a birth in a whole different way. There is so much busy work that labor nurses do that we just don't get a chance to realize other going-on's at a birth. Yet all the same I can't wait.

3 comments:

Julia said...

That's so exciting! So many women are going to benefit from all of your experience. Congrats!

On the other hand, seems kind of sad that one of your main jobs now is paperwork. Good way to take the joy and awe out of participating in birth.

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

A little fear is healthy. It will give you more repect for the incredible responsibility being placed in your hands. But don't worry so much that it stops being fun.

ornery dandelion said...

As someone who just started catching babies myself, I could tell you not to be scared. But that would be my month's worth of experience talking.

It is so scary. And profound. And beautiful. It is so exciting, too.

Can't wait to read about your adventures!