labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Saturday, February 9, 2008

My First Catch

One of the things that surprised me during my first birth was that I wasn't really nervous. I didn't realize this until after everything was over, and that I noticed that I was able to actually think clearly and not panic. Although I did notice at one point my hands were shaking (while I was holding some kelly clamps to clamp the cord) from the adrenaline. Some would argue that I should be nervous, it being the first birth I attended as a student midwife, but I felt prepared.

My first catch was as normal and uneventful as births go...not uneventful for the parents. Mom pushed spontaneously...oh how nice to see how the body works naturally! She just listened to her body and pushed when she felt like it. There was no cheerleading or counts to 10, no urging that she hold her breath, or insistance that she push for 3 long pushes with each contraction. She got in the position she wanted, and rested when she needed. My preceptor just threw me right in there, having me do all the hand manuevers and what not. As the baby was being born, my preceptor put her hands over mine to make sure I was sliding them where they needed to go.

And it was so nice to put this little baby skin to skin with his mom. We waited for the cord to stop pulsing before cutting the cord (dad didn't want to), and inspected her perineum for tears. There were none. We clean mom up, and helped her nurse her baby.

I walked out of the room feeling like a lot of what happened is the way birth should be...un-interferred with. This story may seem anti-climactic, but when I think about it I feel that it is because there wasn't any "drama" or major interventions that accompanied it (much like many of the births I see at work). And yet....it is so very exciting because such a birth exists. A nice, normal, quiet birth.

8 comments:

Cyndi Gross said...

How incredibly fortunate was this women to have had such an amazing experience with you?

You were equally fortunate to have such a wonderful first catch!

Neither of you will ever forget it... or each other.

Congratulations to both of you!

Cyndi Gross

www.mybirthteam.com

Hilary said...

Beautiful! And congrats!

I am a Monkey's Momma said...

Reminds me of the Sarah McLachlan song:

It’s not that unusual
When everything is beautiful.
It’s just another ordinary miracle today.

The sky knows when its time to snow,
Don’t need to teach a seed to grow.
It’s just another ordinary miracle today.

I'm so glad you are *doing it*! The world needs more midwives like you!

AtYourCervix said...

Beautiful, just beautiful. You're going to be a wonderful midwife!

Melissa said...

What is it with most doctors and nurses directing the pushing? Is it ever medically necessary or helpful? With my second baby I maybe pushed once or twice at the very end, but otherwise he came out pretty much on his own.

Congrats on your first catch!

ornery dandelion said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful experience. I can't tell you how jealous I am (but at the same time I'm so happy for you!).

Gail said...

That sounds like a wonderful birth. I hope mine is like that:)

Just Janice said...

You must be a calming influence. My mid-wife said the same about the birth of my second baby, but truth be told, she was so calm it was hard for me not to be too. And the baby? She's the most easy going baby I've ever met - maybe it's because of an awesome mid-wife!