labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Who's On First?

Woman at 37 weeks with herpes virus: "I don't really like the Valtrex."

Valtrex is frequently used for HSV suppression in pregnant women so that they hopefully they will not have any herpes lesions at the time of labor.

Me: "Are you having any reactions? Do you feel it's not working?"

Woman: "I keep having outbreaks, I wasn't having outbreaks with my other medication."

Me: "Do you currently have an outbreak?"

Woman: "Yes. But I was having outbreaks with the other medication."

Me: "So, you were having outbreaks with both medications?"

Woman: "No. Just with the old medication."

Me: "But you said you were having outbreaks with Valtrex."

Woman: "Yes, I am. But I don't like it so I haven't been taking it."

Me: "You haven't been taking any of the Valtrex?"

Woman: "I've taken it. I take it most days."

Me: "I thought you said you weren't taking it."

Woman: "Well, I am not really taking it. Usually I take it on Mondays and Tuesdays. But never on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday."

Me: "It's hard to say that the Valtrex is not working because you aren't taking it. It's not going to work when you don't take it."

Woman: "But I am taking it. Just about every day."

Me: "Ok, well....you need to take it every day. It may work to suppress the outbreaks if you take it every single day. If you are not taking it every day, as it is intended, it doesn't have a chance to be effective."

Woman: "But I have been taking it every day."

Sigh....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something from Laurel and Hardy. Yes, I'm old enough to remember when they showed them on TV.

AtYourCervix said...

This sounds frighteningly like some of the women/girls I care for on L&D.

Anonymous said...

i had a headache just reading that exchange.

Joanne said...

This reminds me of many discussions I had while working at a Planned Parenthood family planning clinic. Amazing how many girls/women were just shocked that they could become pregnant while being "on the pill!"

Leslie said...

Oh my.......how do you keep from banging your head on the wall? Heavens.....I do not know what to say......I am THINKING A LOT of things, but still don't know what to say! Good luck to you!

Leslie G., RN

mommymichael said...

*head desk*

Sarah said...

Ha. Awesome. I've had plenty of those "ok, lets start over" patient interviews.

Shana said...

OMG, I am laughing so hard. Yet, I am sure it wasn't funny when it happened. Yikes.