labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ode to the Dansko

When I started my obstetrical nursing career, I found the beloved Dansko. I bought my first pair in 2000; grey nubuck clogs. The cured my lower back pain. They let my feet breathe. And they worked well with jeans and such.

I loved my Dansko clogs so much that my feet would reject any other shoe. So I had to buy more Danskos in various styles. Sandals, sport clogs, dress clogs, you name it. But the best Dansko of all was my original grey clog.

Eight years later, I still have that original pair. They are tired and worn. The leather is stretched out. The edging is worn off completely. The grey now looks hunter green, so I'm told. This must be from the various fluids that they have been exposed to. I've been finding that my feet slide too much when I walk around and have acquired another callous on my foot. As much as I didn't want to admit it, my original Danskos need to be put to sleep.

I've known this for several months now. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. I went to stores and tried on new Danskos. It just wasn't right. Maybe, just maybe, there is still some life left in them I thought. But when I wore those grey clogs to work my last shift, they just couldn't keep up.

I bought a new pair of Danskos.... well Sanita, actually. You see, Dansko contracted with Sanita for years to make their shoes. But recently, Dansko decided they were going to contract elsewhere and Sanita decided to keep making the shoes under their own name. I find that the Sanita's fit like my other Danskos; the "new" Danskos don't fit the same. So if any of you are wondering why Danskos don't fit exactly the same despite wearing your usual size, now you know why. But I digress....

My new clogs are wonderful. They fit perfectly, and feel good on my feet. They came just at the right time. And then I realized one afternoon while feeling a little poetic, the old clogs lasted my entire obstetrical nursing career. My new clogs are starting my new midwifery career. And they better last longer than eight years.

4 comments:

Real said...

Maybe you should buy another pair or two so you have them when these new ones need to be put to sleep...

Paula said...

oooh! I will have to go searching for Sanitas. Thank you for that tip! I have my original Danskos, too. They are about 10 years old. They were a deep Shiney red when I got them and I have had similar frustrations with my subsequent purchases.

May all the steps you take in your new role be blessed and comfortable!

Deb said...

Always so wonderful to hear Dansko people speak:-) I couldn't live without mine anymore!!

Justin said...

yeah the new danskos dont fit the same as the sanita clogs made for dansko. i have a old pair of danskos made by sanita and recently bought a new pair "made in china" which suck. i will return the new danskos for sanita's!!!