labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Job Forecast

As it appears right now, there will be no midwifery jobs out there when I graduate. Sure, there are jobs available, but I'm not moving. I live where I want to live for the rest of my life and want to provide midwifery care to the women in this area. Midwifery is limited in my area, mainly because there have been administrative cuts to midwifery practices or physicians do not want to cover CNMs for various reasons.

I've mentioned to two physicians at work from two different practices that I am available for hire. The first physician laughed. The second said she'd love to have another CNM but they just couldn't financially support one. Perhaps somewhere down the road that may open up. Who knows.

I wish that I had more courage to be an entrepreneur. I have no doubts that I'd slowly gain a steady patient base. The women my hospital lost when they closed their midwifery service would come back if a midwife was available to them. The problem with trying to open my own practice would be the politics and road blocks put up by physicians who don't want to be affiliated with a CNM. I know that there are physicians who would have no problems collaborating with CNMs, but their malpractice insurance would go up considerably or would lose their malpractice insurance policy. There is also the issue of vicarious liability, which in my opinion is ridiculous. I don't think physicians who cover CNMs should be held liable for the CNMs care and patient management. They should be responsible and liable only for the patients they care for. But that's a whole other can of worms.

So at this time, looks like I will remain working as a labor nurse after graduation. I guess this is fine initially, because I like where I work for the most part and I have a lot of student loan money to start paying back. But I've also worked so hard to become a CNM that I want to start working as one.

9 comments:

Jody said...

..well think of all the experience you'll continue to obtain.
Never I said Never give up your dream!!!

AtYourCervix said...

Ugh. I'm afraid of this happening to me also. However, it is a good thing to be able to "fall back" on nursing - there will always be jobs available!

Julia said...

The politics surrounding birth in our country are ridiculous. Hopefully you'll find something soon.

anthea said...

what about working abroad for a couple of years? They need midwives in the UK - especially London.
And they are very much pro-midwife there (and they give gas to the mums in labour!)
And with the way of the US$$.....

vic said...

Don't get too ahead of yourself - the £ isn't looking too great that the moment either - at least not from the London office I'm sitting in.
Stick to your dreams, gain experience in the meantime, and something perfect will come up when you least expect it.

roriroars said...

RebirthNurse, I think you are in the same geographic area as I am. It's frustrating that physicians in this area are so anti-midwife. We only have one midwife left who delivers at our hospital. From what I understand the other midwives were basically forced to close up shop and now work as charge nurses for us at night... it's a great resource for us to have on nights, but I'd be pretty POed if I were them that this is the only real career option available. Definitely makes me think twice about whether I'd want to go on for my CNM, although in my state (north of the border) CNMs are much more popular.

Mother Jones RN said...

Never give up on a dream. It't the only thing that keeps you going when you just want to back it up and call it a day.

MJ

slh35661 said...

This is a common theme. For my first midwifery job I had to commute an hour and a half away. Then I got a practice to take me and take a chance on their first midwife. I got to work in the town I lived in for 3 yrs. That job ended because I couldn't stand the business person and one of the physicians. So I got another midwife job with a 2 hour commute. I moved closer for that job and lived 3 mins away from work. That job ended when the hospital decided to revamp how they were offering prenatal care. So now I have another job as a midwife I have to commute 2 hrs again. My point is this, that I could take a job in l&d as a nurse but I know I wouldn't be happy. I have had to make some sacrifices to keep doing midwifery. Just be open to possibilites and keep putting yourself out there. Sometimes physicians have to think about it. Sometimes you can convince a hospital to use your services as a midwife. Keep talking and making it known you want a job. Good luck.

Becca said...

This makes me so incredibly sad. I live in the "great" state of Nebraska where we have a grand total of 19 practicing CNMs. Not enough to meet the demands of mothers here! But we can't attract more to the state with the ridiculous hoops CNMs must jump through to practice... IF they can find someplace to hire them.

We need our CNMs in labor and delivery rooms catching babies!

I hope you get to use all your training and talent soon. Good Luck!