labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Dreaded Postpartum

I know you all read the celebrity gossip mags at the checkout lines at the grocery store...so the one that caught my eye today: Angelina is feared to be suffering from postpartum. Oh, really? Because she certainly is postpartum, given that she had twins not too long ago. So why is she suffering from it?

Here is a display of one of the many things that annoy me. Now, I know that what they mean to say is postpartum depression, or perhaps even the "baby blues". Postpartum encompasses the period after a woman gives birth. That's all. Perhaps "postpartum depression" couldn't fit on the cover, but baby blues could have and would have been at least a little more accurate. And I know, baby blues and postpartum depression are different things. But the general public would get the picture.

I am sure that the editors of this magazine thought they were all smart and what not for putting "postpartum" on their cover- you know, it is a technical medical term, I'm sure.

This is just as annoying as when people start talking about "epidermals".

10 comments:

THAT GIRL said...

Just like when they say that all OB nurses do is rock babies all day... love that one. Of course! That's why I have such an easy job.. all I do is care for newborns!

It's okay. I just laugh it off... no use crying over spilt placenta.

takingheart.blogspot.com

DT said...

I saw the same thing yesterday and was also annoyed.

sara said...

Epidermals? Can you imagine how angry a woman in labor would be if she asked for one of those and ended up with a nice cleansing of the epidermis? :)

Heather the Mama Duk said...

My husband noticed and commented on that very same cover. He was rather amused and said pretty much what you said. And then he asked if he could say I was "suffering from postpartum" (whatever that is) since our youngest is only 2 1/2 months old. I told him sure, why not. Just figure out what exactly it is first lol

Paula said...

Oh Labor Nurse, this Peeves me too! I work as a birth and postpartum doula and whan I tell folks about the postpartum, they always confuse it with ppd. "She has postpartum" is ignorant shorthand for depression. It is lame, but I think it may have sneaked into our vernacular. I blame Brooke Shields. Well, now that sounds unfair, but I'll stick with it.

Jody said...

Wow I'll have to look at that cover on the newstands. Toooo funny LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Last year I was walking behind two white upper-class men in Manhattan and I happened to overhear the following: "Yeah, I told my wife after the baby she better not go all POSTPARTUM on me."

I knew what he meant- but couldn't believe an educated man (with a Mount Sinai MD badge...) didn't know the definition of Postpartum...

Sigh.

Prisca said...

That magazine cover is absurd. Yuck.

mitchsmom said...

I noticed the mag, too!! They should know better (or at least check it before publication).
The "epidermal" thing kinda cracks me up though, and I use it in jest all the time. That's usually from girls who just don't know... LOL

LilyRN said...

I saw that and wondered what they meant...

LilyRN