labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I have no clever title for this one....

Hello, everyone.

Labor Nurse is very, very tired....

I thought that graduating would free me up, which in some sense it has, but instead of clinical and tests and papers and the like, I have work, work, and a little more work in between studying for the boards. Which, by the way, is coming up very soon. Like next week.

I am also interviewing, which is an equally tiring process. There is so much thinking involved. I wanted to leave the thinking on cruise control for a while since my brain has been in overdrive for 2 straight years but instead I have to think about call schedules, salary, benefits, midwifery support, new grad fears, malpractice insurance, and suturing perineums all on my own.

And work has been funny. Some days I work with a crew that seems genuinely happy to have me around. I even had someone tell me she'd miss me when I leave for the "big leagues". I actually wish I wasn't leaving because I do like where I work (I'm even saying this after 12+ hours of caring for an 18 year old primip at 35 weeks with pre-eclampsia on magnesium sulfate, poor pain control, high dose pitocin regime, late decels, and the inevitable failure to progress leading to a primary c-section with immediate postpartum hemorrhage requiring me to give misoprostil rectally while the girl was laying strapped to an OR table. It's not easy trying to get these pills into an orifice in which the person is laying flat on. Oh, and chorioamniotitis too!). But they don't want midwives.

That being said, I am so glad that I am where I am at. God damn, I deserve a party! Why didn't anyone throw me a party?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I just wish you practiced in my area! I have such negative feelings about birth in general (and especially mine) and this blog is often really healing.

This blog reminds me of something that happened during my c-section and maybe you can shed some light on it. After my husband and baby left the room and they took down the sheet, I looked down and saw that my legs were in "frog" position and people were pushing on my stomach and looking between my legs. I was so upset that no one told me what they doing or gave me more privacy (the room was still full of people and I had made it really clear I have vulnerability issues.) Is this normal practice? Do you often see medical people doing things to c-section patients' bodies without telling them? It seems like they should treat you the same as they do when they do an exam or vaginal delivery. I still have such bad feelings about the way I was treated.

Thanks.

doula_char said...

Hopefully they're planning the party for aftr you pass your boards!

Real said...

You can come join my party over at beautopotamus. I'm so stoked to NOT have either of two life-threatening diseases! Yay for us!

Seriously, congratulations. Hopefully you'll get a brain break soon. And good luck interviewing. I hope you end up someplace really great.

Prisca said...

Throw yourself a party!!! ;)

Prisca said...

Hey anonymous--

They were probably checking your bleeding by putting your heavy, post-epidural legs up and pushing on your fundus, which absolutely must be done right after a c-section.

They should have explained this to you--and I am sorry, but there isn't really a way to preserve much prvacy for this is the OR! So sorry you had a bad experience! But it was a necessary evil and I am sure no one around you thought twice about seeing you in this position!

Take care!!!!!!