labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Get this...

Does this make any sense?

Everyone at work knows I am now a CNM. I've approached each and every provider and asked if they wanted to add a midwife to their roster. Each has said no. One even laughed.

So...clearly they don't want midwives...or me...or both...

But why is it then, that when I called a doctor to the room to check a woman who was clearly fully dilated (an exam is rarely needed for this in an un-epiduralized woman) and ready to push needed me to recheck his exam because she wasn't sure if there was an anterior lip or not?

The patient was fine that I rechecked her, and she was fully and +2 station. What the doctor was feeling was a wrinkle in the fetal scalp. It happened to take me all of 3 seconds to make this determination.

Mind you, this doctor was one of our family practice doctors so perhaps its because she just doesn't have a whole lot of obstetrics in her practice.

But do you see my point?

7 comments:

Allison said...

wow, so frustrating. I'm so sorry but at least you could be of help. I hope you find your "path" soon :)

christine chapel said...

How frustrating.

Are you willing/able to move?

Not that moving is necessarily the answer, but there are midwife openings out there, somewhere...

Labor Nurse said...

If I were in a position to move, I likely would have had a job even before graduation. Unfortunately, that is not an option at this time so I have to wait it out for a local job

Anonymous said...

This brings to mind the day that a new ob told the neonatologist that was attending the delivery, "Doctor Jones, I am feeling a fetal scalp anomoly." The perfect baby was born two minutes later. What she felt was the folds of the scalp as the head made its way through the birth canal. .

He who cries wolf....

womantowomancbe said...

When I had my first baby, I reached down while pushing, expecting to feel a smooth, skull-like head, and was shocked and disconcerted to feel the overlapping fontanels. Then when my second baby was born (and I didn't call the midwife in time), and my sister looked at the baby (at the midwife's behest), she saw a wrinkled gray *something*, and thought it was the umbilical cord. The midwife repeated, "What do you SEE?" (not, "what do you think it is?" -- although my sister thought, "It's an alien!"), and when she described it, the midwife gave a sigh of relief and told her that was the normal way babies look while being born.

-Kathy

mitchsmom said...

Sorry to hear that... I have been holding back on going back to CNM school partially for the same reason. I am bound to my area for at least 7 more years and I'm not sure if the group here would employ me. The main MD acts interested but I think it may be just talk (as a matter of fact CNM's can't currently deliver at our hospital - it would have to be office work and "then work on getting the hospital privileges changed". We live too far out to commute anywhere else.
I hope there's a breakthrough for you soon (hugs)

Kristina said...

Sounds like where I live. There used to be six or eight midwifes at the local hospitals; now we are down to two. I'd like to someday become a CNM but would anyone hire me? I'm in an isolated area and because of my husband's career can't move.

And they say there is a midwife shortage? Sure...but will they let the midwives in?

So much hostility - on both sides - that I think might be playing into the problem. And there really shouldn't be. We all want the same things at the heart of it, I really do believe.

Would love to hear more about your thoughts on all of this.