labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Midwifery in My Dreams

Because, that's the only place I can practice midwifery at this point. Hopefully this will change in the very near future, but it's not looking hopeful.

So my dreams are littered in midwifery. Many times I find myself breastfeeding babies- either my own or some random little one I find awfully cute. One of the most recent was a dream where I was in an office that looked very similar to an office I interviewed in except I had this feeling that we were out in some out of the way wooded area in another state (Indiana, or Illinois maybe...totally random). Suddenly a preceptor I worked with was laying on an office floor and needed assistance giving birth. I helped deliver the baby, a boy with lots of black curly hair, and left the room. The birth part in my dream had this weird focus on providing a lot of counterpressure to the head to preserve the perineum, yet I never inspected the perineum or labia for lacerations after the fact. This was something that panicked me when I was half asleep. How could I forget to assess for lacerations? What if she had some big tear that needed a good repair and I never even bothered to look?

2 comments:

Jack and Lexi's Mom said...

If you are willing to move to South Georgia, my practice is taking CVs.

BirthdayNurse said...

There must be something in the air leading to vivid "birthing" dreams. I've had a bunch this week too, one where my pre-term/mag patient with twins went into labor and Baby A few out and across the room, and then the other one got stuck before he came out, but the doctor said that was a good thing and just left him there to "cook a little longer" it was really weird...