labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Monday, January 12, 2009

An Improved Campaign

The other day at the gym I was pedaling my ass off on a recumbent bike listening to my iPod (I finally got up with the times) and looked up to towards the half dozen tv monitors that hang above the equipment. I could not hear them because you have to tune in to whatever radio frequency they correlate with, but one of the tvs had a new J&J nurse campaign commercial. What I was surprised about, in a good way, was that they were showing images of nurses doing more skilled nursing type activities than in their previous campaign. I didn't see any baby holding, or patronizing pats on the elderly person's shoulder. And I didn't see any bylines like "Dare To Care". I think what was shown during the small amount I caught was some nurses running a code blue and then it changed to another image that I can't remember- which means that it wasn't condescending enough to be memory worthy. At the end of the commercial several nurses stood together with their arms folded looking ready to take on the world.

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I felt like the campaign finally heard the complaints on how derogatory the first campaign, despite how well meaning, it was. I think they finally hit a little closer to conveying the right messages to the general public about nurses.

************

On the personal front, an interview may be in the works. We'll see. Posts are sparse these days because my per diem L&D nursing job has slim pickings so not much fodder to pick from or be inspired by.

On the other hand, I got to experience nursing care from the recipient's end. I had a recent (planned) hospitalization and surgery and was humbled by landing in the patient role. I was very fortunate the for the most part that all of my nursing care was fabulous and even got to experience what IV heroin users chase after over and over when one RN pushed dilaudid into my IV like a speeding bullet. (NOTE TO STUDENT NURSES: when a med book says you push an IV med over 2 minutes or 5 minutes or whatever- they mean it!)

By far the most caring person that came across my bedside was a nursing assistant who was a recent nursing school graduate. I can't remember if she told me if she was already an RN who was just searching for her first job, or if she was still needing to take her boards- thanks to that dilaudid- but it was so obvious she was ready to be a nurse. She was great.

I also was very happy to learn that the tricks that I instruct my own c-section mother's to get out of bed for the first time works! Now I can say from first hand experience that these little tricks work when you've had an abdominal incision.

My first time out of bed post-op was like an out of body experience and felt faint and sick just as I stood from the toilet. I did make it back to bed on my own two feet because there was no way I was going to be that patient who needed a wheelchair and a lot of commotion but flopped down so low in the bed that I needed to be boosted up like I was some old lady.

And it was nice to be cared for. I had no problems letting that go. But I did almost get a hand slapping when I reached up to the IV bags in the pre-op holding area to see what they were giving me. The nurse was a little put off by that, and must have went and told others in the area because shortly after my surgeon came over to me and handed me my chart and told me to keep busy reading.

7 comments:

Renee said...

After being a CNA for 9 years, getting boosted up in the bed while incapacitated by an epi sure felt strange to me too!

Mom said...

I liked the last paragraph you wrote.

Knitted_in_the_Womb said...

So why exactly is it a slight to the nursing staff if you want to see what is being put into your body???

Labor Nurse said...

knitted- good question. My feeling is that its a territorial thing. who knows. I could care less if someone I was caring for was handling the iv bags. what I would be bothered by is messing with iv pump equipment because they could end up bolusing themselves an unsafe amount of medication or something.

Sam said...

I've been reading your blog for the past few days and I just reached the first post. Now I'm sad! I'm 38+ weeks pregnant, stuck sick in bed with bronchitis and having contractions around the clock. I've enjoyed your blog, you have kept me from going too terribly crazy. Thank you!

Sarahthedoula said...

Now you have my curiousity piqued, since I have two clients who may have Cesareans in the near future.

So, what ARE your tricks for the first time getting out of bed?

Thanks!

Sarah

Paranoid said...

Ok, this has nothing to do with your current post, but I just found your blog today and haven't been able to stop myself reading. I stumbled across this blog while trying to get a sense of what L&D nurses are thinking/going through, because I'm 37.5 weeks pregnant and gearing up for what I fear is going to be a tough birth experience (I'm trying to switch providers right now after my OB pulled a VBAC "bait and switch" and is now trying to push me into a c-section).

Thank you so much for your perspectives of labor, delivery and midwifery. It's so amazing to read what goes on on the other side of the bed, so to speak. I hope you find a job as a midwife soon, as it's terribly clear the profession needs people like you. I only wish you were in my area...