labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homesick

Ya know, as much as I bitch and complain, and how much I hate that where I work as a labor nurse is close minded to midwifery (well, the docs, for the most part), I will really miss working there. There is something about the place that feels right. It feels like home away from home. Disaster could strike, a major emergency, anything and everything bad to the nth degree...it feels ok no matter what. When I go to work I like being there with my fellow labor nurses. Even the night shifts.

As time passes, and I still don't have a job as a CNM, I wonder how well the transition will go. Will a new place feel like home? And when I say home, I don't mean like a place I'd want to live, but a place that I feel comfortable in. Will I like the nurses?

Sigh....

That and I am very petrified of suturing perineums after having such a break from the last time I did them....

6 comments:

geena said...

Nonsense. I'm sure stitching up perineums is just like riding a bike, LOL :)

BirthdayNurse said...

You can come work at my hospital in Kansas...you sound like someone we would love to come work with us...and our night shift nurses are cool! :)

Mama to Monkeys said...

I heard a saying recently I think you might like. It was something along the lines of "there came a moment when it became too painful to stay closed up tight in a bud to avoid the pain of blossoming any longer".

Sounds like you need to blossom. :) Don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back from changing the lives of so many women. Women who need a midwife like you.

Sara said...

As a midwife, hopefully you won't have to suture as many! :) Support, instead.

Changes bring on worries. I'm sure you'll find a new home in your future job.

WonderMama said...

Practice on chicken breasts.

Transitions are always hard, but you'll be a great CNM will eventually feel as comfortable wherever you land as you feel in your current position, I'm sure!

Uppity Woman said...

If tearing occurs, it most of the time doesnt need suturing..just leave it alone. Letting a woman find her position to birth and let her ease the head out will help minimize tearing. Now an episiotomy WILL be harder to stitch..so just dont do them :) As a midwife in a homebirth practice of almost 10 years, I have never done an episiotomy. And the worst tears are those that occur when a woman has had a previous epis. I know only 3 times I should have done an epis due to perineum of steel on a first time mom-but i didnt and we had slight tearing not even worth suturing.