labor nurse has been reborn and shares her experiences as a new nurse-midwife, woman, and blogger

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Interview

I have another interview coming up this week; I am hoping it goes well but I'd be lying if I said that I had high hopes. I have gone into every interview with a positive attitude, did my best to portray the CNM I would be and what I would add to their practice. I've walked out of each one thinking I had it in the bag. And then.... nothing.

I've reviewed everything about these interviews to see what could I have done that turned them off. And I honestly can't find anything. Seriously. And I can find fault with lots of things; this is not one of them. Actually, the one thing I could say is a negative is something out of my control: I'm a "new grad". I've got that stigma. I would require extra work on part of the providers in the practice because of the extra nurturing and mentoring I would require. And I've requested that I get adequate mentoring.

There has got to be something out there for me! My plan, however, is to pursue the NP route if this job doesn't come through. I am more than 6 months out from graduation and even if all the experience I can get right now is outpatient office care, then so be it.

But I really want to catch some babies!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

A friend of mine takes a small digital recorder with her into interviews, tapes the whole thing, and then critiques herself later. You might try this, or try playing it for someone else who would give you good constructive criticism.

In Indiana it's legal to tape a conversation as long as one of the parties in the conversation knows that it's being recorded. You might double check the laws in your state, just in case you post an excerpt or something and someone decides to get all difficult.

Anonymous said...

Have you sent a thank you card after each interview? I know it sounds simple but I have talked to a lot of people who say that can make or break getting a job. Good luck.

Iris said...

That must be hard to deal with, being more than 6 months out of graduation. I wish that CNMs were more in demand and more well-known. I really hope the best for you as you go to your next interview and that a job opportunity would arise!

Mama to Monkeys said...

My fingers, toes, legs, and eyes are all crossed for you!